Friday, March 16, 2012

Pastoral Poem #1.00125


Near the beginning of my awfully attractive laughter, there’s a cabin and some snow. With different types of goats, there are different uses of goats.  Goddamnit!  I owe you an explanation.The land is tired of corn. No green vegetables and milk.  In the spring there is mud, in the winter there is snow.  Some of them are good books.  But they tell of another world.  The children learn to say the words and what makes seventeen.  They do not know what to do about their own lack of food and clothing and shelter.  It’s very hard to spend a penny.  The kinds of candy are so many.  The children must learn it is too late now for the old hills. And probably some folk songs.  To get it authentic and shit.  To live well by axe & gun & plow.  After all, this film’s about educating America’s heathens—small Appalachian children.  Now the land is no longer rich.  But the people remain.  The cornfields dot the hillsides now where once there was hickory and chestnut.  Their lives set in old patterns.  New ideas are not easy to come by when ideas are passed from mouth to mouth, from father to son.  Is your farming balanced?  Mom is happy about taking the little boy’s shirt off as he squirms in her lap.  She is sick in her heart and wants to lie down.  What do you want for your breakfast?  O Willie tell me!  I don’t want nothing mother!  I’m sick in my heart and I want to lie down.  The hogs slaughtered in the farm must last thru the winter.

Goddamnit!  I owe you an explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment